The bearghan is done. Not difficult but you do have to pay attention. I’m not saying that because I had to rip back four rows when I missed a stitch. LOL I will say I got tired of it and struggled to finish particularly the border rounds. I did 3 rounds instead of 5.
The yarn I used is Bernat Baby Sport. It’s 100% acrylic, 10.5 oz (300g), 1077 yds (984m) skeins. Dye lot 166043. The color is Baby Yellow. I used all of one skein and I’d say more than half of a second.
This yarn was great to work with. The only tails I had to sew in were the beginning and ending tails, where I changed skeins, and one place near the end of the skein where I got the yarn tangled and decided to just cut it. Not their fault. LOL
Here’s a picture of the cute little bear.
As noted previously, the Mary Maxim patterns that I have purchased do not have the row numbers. This is particularly important in this pattern which is not symmetrical and took many days to complete. I began it August 15 and finished August 27 so almost two weeks.
Anyway, to work the pattern I scanned it in two parts as it was too large to get in one. Then I put the two parts together so no rows were lost and added the numbers, making it large enough so I could see them. It was not that difficult. It was just time consuming. Here’s a tiny bit of it.
I worked it as filet crochet. Each block is 3 dc but remember that every block shares a side with the previous block. In other words, two block are actually 5 dc not 6. That is helpful to know when counting the solid blocks between open ones. Open blocks are (dc, ch 1, dc).
Since I used a sport yarn rather than the fingering yarn it came with, my piece was considerably larger at 43″ x 46″. Pattern says 32″ x 36″ so about 10″ larger on each side.
I couldn’t find the bear pattern to link to it, but there is a free bunny filet pattern there if you want to have a look. Whoever does their filet designs does a really good job. This bear and the giraffe I did previously are excellent. They really look cute. I had looked at other giraffe patterns and theirs was the best. That’s why I opted to spend the bucks for the kit even knowing I wouldn’t use the yarn included.
If you’ve never worked filet and want to give it a try, it’s really not that hard. It’s simply double crochet and chains. The hardest part is the counting.
Have a look at my filet page and others around the Internet too if that one doesn’t do it for you. Sometimes seeing it a different way will make it click. Be aware, however, that different folks may do it differently. Some use the 4 dc mesh where I use the 3dc mesh. I’ve seen it worked with hdc using each square as one stitch rather than as a block. Just know what you’re looking at before you start.
I am pleased with how the bear came out but glad to have it done. Next up will be that Bernat Pop lapghan waiting on me.